2 Gunmen fired and hit students, workers

At least two gunmen who injured six people in a
mass shooting at an Oakland public school
fired more than 30 rounds, the city’s police chief said Thursday, while revealing the assailants entered the school building to target specific people before fleeing in a vehicle.

“We thank God that many more students were not injured as a result of this action,” Chief LeRonne Armstrong told reporters during a video news conference.

Given the number of rounds collected at the scene on Wednesday, he said, one or more of the shooters likely used handguns with large-capacity ammunition magazines holding more than 10 bullets apiece — which are now banned in California.

Surveillance video captured “two specific shooters and one driver,” the chief said, but “we had calls that there could have been up to four.”

Six adults were wounded in the shooting that occurred at 12:45 p.m. Wednesday at Rudsdale Newcomer High, at the King Estate campus on Fontaine Street in the Eastmont Hills area just south of Interstate 580.

The victims were two students, a counselor, a security guard and two people working at the school, authorities said. Officials at the Building and Construction Trades Council of Alameda County identified the two visiting workers as carpenters.

As of Thursday afternoon, three of the injured remained hospitalized, two with serious wounds. The other three had been released.

Police were searching for the shooters as well as the driver, Armstrong said. Investigators had not identified any suspects, confirmed any connection between the attackers and to the school, or made any arrests.

The chief linked the shooting to conflicts between groups and gangs within the city, though it was not clear Thursday whether any of the people wounded had been targets.

Armstrong said his department received multiple calls about shooters and possibly barricaded suspects at the school, and had to break down doors to enter classrooms that were locked. Officers evacuated students and quickly realized the suspects had fled, he said.

A spokesperson for Oakland Unified School District declined to say whether the entrance door to the school was believed to have been unlocked at the time of the shooting, or whether it was supposed to be.

Officers previously responded to at least one gun-related incident and a stabbing at King Estate campus, Armstrong said, adding that police made an arrest related to an incident there in August.

He said authorities had no information or warning in advance of Wednesday’s mass shooting.

Campus facilities will be closed indefinitely while the district repairs damage, both from the burst of gunfire and from police breaking into rooms, district spokesperson John Sasaki said.

“It’s just heartbreaking,” school board Vice President Sam Davis told The Chronicle, his voice shaking. “I’m just sad for Oakland. I think a lot of Oakland students experience a lot of trauma and try to just work through it and are numb to it and have to just keep going everyday.

“What’s so upsetting is how numb we are to it,” he said. “We just keeping going … just being glad no one died.”

Davis said he learned from school site officials that in another five minutes after the shooting, the halls would have been filled with students.

“I’m firmly committed to the work we’re doing for violence prevention and intervention,” Davis said. “It’s an epidemic across our country. It feels like no place is safe and that’s just not right.”

Rachel Swan and Jill Tucker are San Francisco Chronicle staff writers. Email: [email protected], [email protected] Twitter: @rachelswan @jilltucker

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *